TALON IV 2 DOF
Since its introduction more than a decade ago, QinetiQ North America’s TALON family of robots has earned a reputation for durability, flexibility, modularity and performance in keeping personnel, assets and civilians out of harm’s way. In military, law enforcement and first responder applications, these lightweight tracked vehicles are widely deployed for improvised explosive device (IED) and explosive ordnance disposal (EOD), reconnaissance, communications, CBRNE (Chemical, Biological, Radiological, Nuclear, Explosive)/HAZMAT, security, heavy lift and defence and rescue missions.
TALON delivers. The TALON is fast and mobile, able to climb stairs, negotiate rock piles, overcome concertina wire and plough through snow. The robots have been used worldwide, from Ground Zero after the 2001 World Trade Center attack – where it withstood repeated decontamination – to Iraq, where a TALON deployed with an EOD team was borrowed by a nearby infantry unit to follow a bomb-wielding insurgent into a building. The insurgent dropped the building, but the TALON survived. Rugged, easy to use, and – most importantly – protecting the lives of those who protect ours.
Expertise in Action
- Rugged — TALON robots can take a punch and stay in the fight. One was blown off the roof of a Humvee in Iraq while the Humvee was crossing a bridge over a river. TALON flew off the bridge and plunged into the river below. Soldiers later used its operator control unit to drive the robot back out of the river and up onto the bank so they could retrieve it.
- Withstands Repeated Decontamination — Demonstrated at Ground Zero after the 2001 World Trade Center attack in New York City. TALON electronics withstood 45 straight days of being decontaminated twice-a-day without failing.
The TALON family of robots is configurable enough to meet almost any need in any environment:
- 52 kg to 71 kg – easily transported
- Rugged and mobile
- Longest battery life of all manportable robots
- Three infrared-illuminated colour cameras, including a pan/tilt mast with 300:1 zoom camera
- High payload capacity supports a broad range of sensor packages
- Fastest robot on the market
- Easy to operate, maintain and sustain
- Attachments include two-way hailer, universal disruptor mount, thermal camera upgrade packages and magnetic antenna mounts
EPE offers maintenance support plans as the exclusive maintenance and repair facility for QinetiQ NA UGVs in Australia and New Zealand.